Saturday, October 31, 2015

Let's Kick This Off!

Halloween seems like the perfect time for my first post. I have been trying to psyche myself up posting on this blog for about 6 months. It's become too exhausting to continually doubt myself. I have had a lot of anxiety putting my art out into the world. I endured a great deal of critique in art school, some of it constructive and some of it destructive. I have little want to experience that from internet randos.

A quick background -  I have an art degree but have worked retail and banking since I graduated. I am mainly a fiber artist who weaves, dyes, crochets, and sews. I also paint in watercolor. I have been ill with an auto-immune disorder which means I have spent a lot of time being sick in the last year. To fill the time and avoid losing my mind I went back to working on art this last January. Specifically, I joined an art trading site and started working hard on my drawing and painting skills.

With all that said, I think I have worked  more on my art in the last 10 months than I have in the last 7 years. I am actually starting to like my work and feel a lot less nervous putting it out in the world.

On to some art! My Sister-in-law had her birthday a couple days ago, so I painted her a little postcard. Rabbits are a family favorite and one of my favorite creatures as well.



I have a lot more to share with everyone including tutorials, more art, and some humor from time to time. Hopefully this will be the first post of many.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging! Your little rabbit postcard is wonderful! I'm sure your sister-in-law loves it! The way I look at it, art critics are just giving their opinion on your work. That doesn't mean they are correct in their assumptions. It just means they had something to say. Follow where your muse takes you and pay no attention to the critics. Make art regardless of what they have to say!
    I'd love to see more of your art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, thank you for the kind comments! It's so true that it's someone's opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. It took YEARS before I could show anyone my art after art school. I almost quit and majored in English because of the way critiques were conducted in some of the studios. Art is really one of the only things keeping me sane, so whether I like it or not it's here to stay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Taylor swift says, "Haters are gonna hate." Let 'em...but keep doing what makes you happy! It feels good to make art...it's calming and fun. ...and I do dig that cute bunny! :) Congrats on your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Art is calming as long as things are working for you. When they aren't it's time for chocolate and tea. :)

    ReplyDelete