Sunday, November 1, 2015

On Illness and Art

I started working on art again after dealing with illness for the last few years. Unfortunately, my illness seems to be progressive and confusing to the doctors I have seen. 

Being ill has lead to a silver lining of having a lot of down time that I can fill with art. It doesn't take a huge amount of physical energy to sketch or paint watercolors. Creating art has been an excellent distraction from the issues I am having, while also allowing me to get closer to ticking off a bucket list item of being a "real" artist.

OK, enough of being a downer. On to more art! The art trading site I am a part of has had a few fibers based swaps as of late. I was going to participate in a fiber landscape swap, however I was unable to finish the work in time to participate. It was a little bit of a bummer but I really enjoyed getting back to embroidering. I decided to do the theme of 4 seasons with trees, I just never finished summer. For reference, these are approximately 2.5"x3.5". 


Spring Tree - the "foliage" is entirely french knots
Fall tree with metallic thread

 

Winter Tree
Summer, the one I didn't finish


I am hoping to finish "Summer" at some point and trade all of them for fabric cards. No idea when that will be, though.

Alright, off to work on art!

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Wish I had enough patience to do embroidery. My fave is your winter theme. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I learned when I was a kid, I loved those old kitchen towels embroidered with fruit. I stopped working on it for years because of life but it seems like riding a bicycle sort of thing. :)

    ReplyDelete