Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Weirdy Mail!

This is going to be a super short post about the first "weirdy" mail I have ever traded. This will be the first time I have traded mail art for the last few months and it was incredibly fun.

(Quick note- Weirdy mail is mail that you don't put in an envelope, you attach the address and postage to it and send it on it's way. It's amazing all that you can send through the USPS without putting it in a box, a banana is my favorite example so far.)

Anyways, the weirdy mail I made is an embroidered and felted piece. It's a matryoshka, or Russian nesting doll. I made 3 of varying sizes and out of store bought felt. I embroidered the flowers all over their scarves and dresses and felted their faces so they all looked alike. I used velcro to close the two larger dolls so they wouldn't escape in the mail and stuffed the littlest doll in the center to give the whole project a more round look.

This is of the largest doll and the part that I sent free of a protective envelope. I placed packing tape over the velcro side so nothing escaped. The entire thing is hand-stitched, I did not use a machine for any part of it including the embroidery.

This is the three of them nested inside each other waiting for the mail and their new home.

Finally a picture of the three of them separated so you can see what each one looks like. The final piece ended up being about 3 inches by 6 inches total.

Hope you enjoyed these, I will be back with more to share!

Questions? Comments? Look to the little box below...

2 comments:

  1. So beautiful! You really rocked it on your first try! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! It was fun to make and exciting to send. :)

      Delete